What is methylphenidate?
- Methylphenidate is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.
- Methylphenidate is used to treat attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and narcolepsy.
How should I take methylphenidate?
- Take methylphenidate exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Methylphenidate may be habit-forming. Never share this medicine with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it. Selling or giving away this medicine is against the law.
- Read all patient information, medication guides, and instruction sheets provided to you. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- To prevent sleep problems, take this medicine in the morning.
- Some brands of methylphenidate should be taken at least 30 minutes before a meal. Extended-release methylphenidate can be taken with or without food. Follow the directions on your medicine label
- Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole. Breaking the pill may cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.
Methylphenidate side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction to methylphenidate: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have :
- Signs of heart problems - chest pain, trouble breathing, feeling like you might pass out;
- Signs of psychosis - hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not real), new behavior problems, aggression, hostility, paranoia;
- Signs of circulation problems - numbness, pain, cold feeling, unexplained wounds, or skin color changes (pale, red, or blue appearance) in your fingers or toes;
- A seizure (convulsions);
- Muscle twitches (tics);
- Changes in your vision; or
- Penis erection that is painful or lasts 4 hours or longer (rare).
Note : You can buy Methyl (Methylphenidate) 50mg tablets online without prescription (No RX).